Monday, October 13, 2008

This Thanksgiving, I'm Especially Grateful - My Podcast Appears to Be Up and Running!

I love it!!! My dad just interrupted dinner with my mom and called to say... "Okay...so what does ‘pod’ stand for in a podcast, anyways?" First of all, I’m so excited that I’ve got my parents thinking about podcasting and blogging! And secondly, (thanks to Lee Lefever at CommonCraft.com) I knew the answer!!!!

Thanks to Lee Lefever, I also understand the benefits of downloading podcasts. ‘Personal on Demand’ casting offers individuals audio/video on particular topics to be downloaded and viewed when and where time permits. (Insert anecdote here of my husband watching National Geographic videos of Bear Attacks on the plane to Cuba. Peculiar, yet, personal and on demand.) What was not immediately clear to me was why I would create podcasts myself, or with my students.

This may be because, as Christine mentioned in her blog (http://crobi-blog.blogspot.com/), the most stressful assignment we have encountered thus far in this course. After reading about the steps in a pdf file that Christine posted, I thought it would be pretty straightforward. However, both the concept and the steps were foreign to me. How to create an mp3 file, how to create a ‘live’ link on a blog, how to record audio, etc. It has been a frustrating week of missteps, faulty links, server errors and awkward links on my blog. Still, it is with fingers crossed that I pick up the old fashioned phone and ask others to try accessing my podcast via my blog ("Does it work?!"). Who knew that this Thanksgiving I would give thanks for a podcast on my blog?!

Throughout the past month of my coursework, I have been most nervous about the podcast content. At first I was terrified to select a topic and create a podcast. I was very uncomfortable about uploading a video of me to the World Wide Web. After my preliminary research I was relieved to realize that I could do an audio-only file (hooray for Stuart McLean who makes this beyond sufficient - an artform! http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/index.html?arts). Then, I was on a roll. I could anonymously pretend to be an expert on a topic (How Do Writers Get Their Ideas?) and post for others to hear. A few panicked web searches and several hand-holding sessions with a patient husband later, and I think I have done it! In the future, I may post a few key lessons or read alouds for my students online. But, I believe the real implications and power of podcasting lies in passing the knowledge and ability on to students (I’m sure they’ll figure it out much faster than I did).

As an elementary teacher, one of the biggest obstacles is seeking out authentic experiences for my students. I know from both research and experience that the most authentic purposes for reading and writing are the most powerful and successful lessons. When students are producing work for a real-world purpose or audience, they are motivated to spend a little extra time to create and revise quality work. In a video posted to YouTube (http://www.podcastingnews.com/2008/02/18/kids-explain-podcasting/) students explain podcasting to a world audience. I was struck by the common thread as the students spoke: many of them referred to sharing their work and ideas with people all over the world, and receiving feedback from their audience. These students had experienced the power of posting their work to the web and hearing back from a wide audience. I can imagine the motivation of my students in such a situation. When asked to edit their writing, for example, most students groan or find an easy and superficial way to improve their work. But if students were aware of a world wide audience that would be viewing/hearing their work, I strongly believe that they would be more motivated to put forth their best work.

On the website ‘Teaching Ideas for Primary Teachers’

the author proposes further benefits:
"How do children benefit from making a podcast?
-It gives them a potential audience of thousands for their work.
-It's great for developing literacy skills (writing scripts, setting up interviews etc), allows children to develop and practise their speaking and listening skills, and they also learn some amazing ICT skills.
-Podcasts can be interactive, and the audience can be invited to send their comments, giving valuable feedback to the children about their work.
-I've found that making a podcast is also great for developing teamwork skills. The children always work together really well, as they're always keen to make a great show."

Beyond writing, the literacy skills which students use in creating a podcast directly support and extend our Alberta Program of Studies (http://education.alberta.ca/media/450519/elak-9.pdf). Students are reading, writing, listening, viewing, speaking and representing in meaningful ways when creating podcasts. Readers’ Theatre, book reviews, book club questions and conversations, poetry, sharing writing, and radio plays are just a few applications that I see working very well with my students.

Audio podcasts seem like an excellent place to start as a teacher, as the degree of anonymity is much greater than with video podcasts. Freedom of Information and Privacy policies have been a common obstacle in my exploration of Web 2.0 as a teacher, but audio podcasts in which students work as a group or use a pseudonym seem like an exciting and manageable way to engage students on Web 2.0.
Podcasting does not seem to be growing as quickly as other Web 2.0 applications, however. In ‘Enjoy Podcasting While You Can, Kids’ Matthew Lasar (http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0044/t.15902.html) asserts that podcasts are not easy enough to download in our busy lives, and therefore are not catching on quickly for those who are working full-time or parenting (he seems to relegate this technology to kids and teens). This is an important implication for teaching as parents would need to be educated on how to access our podcasts created in class. [There are simple tutorials available all over the web; some even simple enough for small children (http://pbskids.org/dragonflytv/podcasts/index.html).] As we consider easy ways to reach our audiences with child-created podcasts, RSS feeders may become more integral. I have not been particularly diligent with my GoogleReader account yet, but I see podcasting as a perfect use for this Web 2.0 tool. If specific audience members could subscribe to our class/school podcasts we would have a dedicated audience and they would have easy access to our work. I look forward to further exploring RSS feeds and my favourite podcasts (my commute accompanied by the ‘Vinyl Cafe’...sounds perfect to me!).


If we think that educators have the podcast market covered, don’t be fooled. Ad Age reports
DISNEY READIES CHILDREN'S AD-SUPPORTED PODCASTS.
"In its push to reach 6-to-14-year-olds when they're not listening to the radio, Radio Disney offers content downloadable to MP3 players...Plans to insert advertising come at a good time. The recent iTunes soundtrack explosion triggered by Walt Disney Co.'s 'High School Musical' no doubt is creating a halo effect for Disney properties as it involves the likes of Gabriella and Ryan in other Mouse properties."
As with all Web 2.0 tools, and the Internet as a whole, students will need to educated about podcasts that are available, some of which are inappropriate. As Will Richardson writes "[while] the 'anyone can publish anything' aspect can be unsettling...wouldn't it better to teach students how to deal with less-than-salient contet that they see when they get home?" (2008). And those podcasts which are appropriate may be sprinkled with ads (as mentioned above) or posted by those with a bias or misinformation. This is another important opportunity for teachers to educate students about media literacy and internet awareness.

Podcasting offers an exciting tool for teachers and students, and in true Web 2.0 form, provides opportunities for both consuming and contributing online. I know my students would be excited by the possibility of posting their own podcast, and I think they will be fascinated by some of the podcasts available (I myself, didn’t realize how easy it was to download podcasts without iTunes!). But admittedly, the first thing I will do with my students on our SmartBoard tomorrow morning is to share the podcast I have posted on my blog. I’m proud of what I have learned and discovered this week, and I’m motivated to keep exploring.

6 comments:

Joanne said...

Hi Jill,

Great podcast--I think you should send the link to Jill McClay--it would be a great addition to her undergraduate writing course! I like that you were able to connect some of your own experiences with what you had to say about finding writing ideas...your kids will love it!

You make a really good point that podcasts can be a way of providing authentic experiences for children in elementary schools...you're right that parents might need some educating about how to subscribe to the podcasts, but Google Reader or Bloglines could be a good solution if you are posting the podcasts to a blog. I hadn't seen the PBS link about podcasting...thanks for sharing it!

Like you I listen to Stuart McLean as a podcast...I never seem to have the radio on at the right time to listen to Dave and Morley, so I have subscribed to The Vinyl Cafe as a podcast through iTunes and listen while I'm cleaning!

Jes said...

Jill,
I also love Stuart McLean, and I was very happy to discover that I can now listen to the Vinyl Cafe whenever and where ever I want. What a treat, especially on Thanksgiving when I was "stuck" in the kitchen.
I enjoyed listening to your podcast, especially the intro - it was very creative.

Jill said...

Delicious
Delicious, delicious, delicious. You might think it sound yummy but it’s actually an amazing website. Delicious is a websites that bookmarks other websites such as math mayhem and Brain pop. On Delicious.com, you also have to be careful, and not tell strangers real information about you, like your name, your city and even your school. Our school account (rm.16) someone call iambeamer added us but unfortunately we don’t know who that mysterious person is. Delicious is a really great website but it can be a bit negative. The negative thing about it is that you cannot chat with friends you added other than that delicious is a great bookmarking site! A good thing about delicious is that if a stranger adds me and I don’t feel comfortable with that person I can immediately delete that person/stranger. Delicious, Delicious, Delicious it’s a really yummy website try it!


~KnM

Jill said...

Delicious the website
Delicious is a fun website I would know because I have an account. The website is about saving websites that you like and you can make websites private that means you can make it so that only you can see them. Another great thing about delicious is that you can have friends and look at their websites. Two thing that I don’t like about delicious is you can’t instant chat with friends like other websites and the other reason is there are no games!!!!! You can’t have a website without games!!!!! If delicious had those two thing it would be the best website ever!!!!!

Jill said...

Our teacher showed us about a site called delicious. You can tag sites like Wikipedia so if you need to do a research project you can go to delicious .com and if you have a good site that could help you on your project you would just click on it then you’re on the site you clicked on.
I think this is a great site for future projects because if you needed to find a certain site you could just go to delicious.com.

Jill said...

Delicious

Today in my journal I’m going to write about Delicious.com. Delicious is a site where can bookmark different sites that are useful to you. I think Delicious is a good website because unlike using another thing on your toolbar called favorites. But on favorites you favorite any site that you want to, but the bad thing about favorites is that if you go on another computer your favorites will not be saved on that computer. The good thing about delicious is if you go on delicious you have to sign in and you can on anywhere in the world you want. You can have friends on delicious. And the only reason you have friends is to see what they bookmarked. Also if you a random person add you can delete him or her. Another good thing about delicious is that it is really easy to use. The reason that I use delicious is to improve my learning and help me if I am stuck on my homework but some other people use it if they get on a really good site and they don’t remember what they typed in they could just add it to their delicious account. The negative comments that I am going to say on delicious are only my opinion on it. So the negative comments are I don’t think you can chat with people I mean like if you can add them why can’t you chat with them??? Another negative comment is that random people can add you. That’s what I have to say about delicious

sincerly M.gohar