Friday, September 5, 2008

Step 1

Step 1. Create blog

Well, it would appear that my journey into blogging and exploring Web 2.0 has begun. I'm up and running on WebCT (no simple task), the online shipping tracker tells me my textbook is on its way (quickly, please), and now a blog post. Is this how my students feel when I toss them into the Inquiry method of learning?
I have already spent a night wandering about TeacherTube and have started talking to my students about technology in the classroom. Talking with them today I realized that the term 'technology' is almost a moot point for them; their not sure what I'm really talking about. To attempt to encompass so many aspects of their daily lives into one term does seem a little ridiculous. To them, 'technology' is their communciation, entertainment, information, organization, network, and social lifeline. And yet, perhaps not their education.
While the world has changed drastically, the class in which I teach is nearly identical to the one in which I was a student. I have posted a link on our WebCT site to a powerful video called 'Pay Attention' that has forced me to think about this situation. Over the coming weeks in our class, I look forward to exploring the issue, and collecting and discovering ways to bring technology and the 'real world' - their world - into our classroom.
Let the adventure begin!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Hi Jill,

Welcome to the blogosphere!

You raise some interesting questions about technology in the lives of our young students and I look forward to reading more as you think about these questions and issues as the term goes on.

Glad to see that you have been able to successfully navigate the technology so far!

Joanne